Friday, September 7, 2018

Broken Dreams? No, Just New Ones!

Below I write about the same "Tuff Stuff" topic.  It's Suzy again.  I've decided to describe her life before her pregnancy.  This might help us understand Suzy as a mother.  Not much change, really.  Her baby has only made her stronger.


Before Suzy became pregnant, we were very close friends. In high school, we used to sit together in the back of the room in all of our classes.  Suzy always used to take the spot next to the window and draw pictures in her notebook.  She was a dreamer. 
She was also a runner.  She was on the cross country team.  She spent a lot of her time in class drawing pictures of running shoes she liked in her notebook.  She was good with the Nike and Puma symbols.  They covered her pages.  Her teachers didn’t seem to mind.  They said she was very talented.  Suzy planned to continue running and drawing in college.  She was going to study art.
When she told me she was pregnant, we both cried.  We both knew she wouldn’t be able to go to college any time soon.  Suzy had to drop out for a while.  I was the one who sat by the window.   While I was able to go to college, Suzy worked to take care of her family.  She has different priorities now.  I miss her.   With our crazy schedules, we don’t see each other very often.  Lately, however, I’ve see she’s running again.  I see her in her Nikes pushing her stroller along the side of the road when I go to school.  She doesn’t look like your typical drop-out.  She looks determined and full of life. It’s just that she has a whole new set of goals.  I always HONK:  “You Go Girl! Nothing can stop you!”

Popular Posts